So, I lied in my last post. My newest toy is a Samsung Captivate smart phone. It is powered by Android.
I do like it, but all it does take some getting used to the touch screen.
My biggest annoyance is the bloatware, shovelware, crapware, whatever you want to call it. AT&T installs a ton of stuff. Time to get rid of it!
First you need to gain super-user privileges. Here is how to do that:
- Download and install the Android SDK (download and install guide)
- Install the Samsung Drivers (download location)
- Set your phone to connect in Mass Storage mode (Settings->Applications->USB Settings->Mass storage)
- Connect the phone via USB. Mount the drive (select Mount from the USB drop down notification).
- Download the Root Update Zip and rename it update.zip
- Copy the update.zip to your internal SD card on the phone
- Disconnect your phone’s USB
- Turn on USB Debugging Mode (Settings->Applications->Development->USB Debugging)
- Connect the phone via USB again
- Use a command prompt to cd to the SDK’s tools directory. Mine is c:androidtools.
- Run the recovery mode reboot command: adb reboot recovery
- The phone will reboot into recovery mode. Select Reinstall Packages on the phone’s menu using the Volume Up/Down buttons and select using the Power button. The phone will install the update and reboot.
- You should now see a Superuser Permission application in the Applications panels.
Now it is time to remove some crap!
- Make sure your phone is connected via USB and the USB Debugging mode is still turned on.
- From a command prompt, cd to the SDK’s tools directory.
- Run the SDK shell: adb shell
- Become root: su
- To remove apps, we will just rename them. For example this removes the AT&T Nav app: mv /system/app/ATTNav-Samsung-Vega-1488.apk /system/app/ATTNav-Samsung-Vega-1488.tmp
- Here is a list of applications and their actual application file names:
- AT&T Nav — /system/app/ATTNav-Samsung-Vega-1488.apk
- AT&T Radio — /system/app/ATT_Radio_2.1.07.apk
- MobiTV — /system/app/MobiTV_800x480_320_20100610_18.104.22.168-118829.apk
- MobileBanking — mv /system/app/MobileBanking.apk
- AT&T Maps — /system/app/attmaps20-1094.apk
- Where — /system/app/WHERE_Samsung_GT-I900_Vegas_EN_1.9.3_GM_06112010.apk
- AT&T Hotspots — /system/app/WISPr_v41.apk /system/app/WISPr_v41.tmp
- AT&T FamilyMap — mv /system/app/androidlauncher2.1-61x612010_06_11t15_49.apk
- AT&T Music mv /system/app/ATT-P11_PROD.apk
- Instant Messaging — /system/app/IM-Signed.apk
- AllShare — /system/app/Dlna.apk
- Disconnect your USB, turn off USB Debugging and see how your apps are missing!
Here are the list of sources I used to get this going: