So Mookie tagged me with this 7 random things thing. Yeah. So here we are:
1) I have been sued for $600,000 for a minor fender bender in White Planes NY. The guy was a Ecuadorian cab driver who had to “tend to a sick father” when the depositions were done. The insurance company settled for $9K. It was a bullshit lawsuit and I wish they had gone to court and made the bastard pay me.
2) I went to a private Catholic college prep high school. The St John’s Patriots in Shrewsbury, MA. I did it for two reasons. One: I wanted to get into a decent college and it seemed the college prep route was the way to go. Two: I had a family tradition with my father, brother, uncle, and several cousins going to the same school. The experience was not horrible. It was an all-male school- that part sucked (no, not literally). I also have no contact with anyone from high school. The school doesn’t even know where I live. With this post, Google might rat me out.
3) I graduated Virginia Tech with a BS in Computer Science. Apparently that makes me smart. I did work at Mitretek (a MITRE spinoff) and Microsoft, so I must not be stupid. I *did* get to watch Michael Vick play in college- watching him live might be one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in sports.
4) While in college I was accused of cheating. Well, actually I was convicted of cheating. It was a senior level CS class; and I didn’t cheat. Two of us were accused and the other guy swore he did not cheat off of me. I took (and am taking) his word for it. Due to a “liberal interpretation of the double-zero rule”, the professor gave me a D in the class so I passed. Oh, and working in the dining halls sucks.
5) I had only visited Austin for 2 days prior to me moving here from Seattle. I thank two people for my decision to move here: First, my original manager Evan; and Second, the random guy I talked hockey and Austin general with at Buffalo Billiards downtown. He convinced me Austin people were cool people to hang out with.
6) I am the god father of my newest niece Rebecca. She is a darling- but I have only seen her in person once. I have been to Mass twice in the last 5 or 6 years. Once for my grandmother’s funeral and once for Rebecca’s Christening. It doesn’t bother me at all.
7) I was –> this <-- close to owning a bar in Austin about 3 or 4 years ago. There were 4 of us as business partners and were trying to buy The Ale House. It was a dive- rotting floors in the bathroom, electrical that could cause a fire at any moment, fruit flies, nasty smell, the works. It would have rocked. There is a good chance I will own a bar at some point. The business intrigues me for some reason.
I'm going to not tag anyone. Deal with it 🙂