Note: This is a continuation of Garage Storage – Day 1
It is going to be another scorcher here in Austin. High expected to be about 101 or 102. That makes working in the garage brutal. But at least, I am not working in the sun.
I started today off by cutting the dados on the side pieces. Four total. It went really smoothly and the cabinet is coming together nicely.
Once I had the top and bottom fit into the dados, I was able to measure and fit the center support. I am pretty happy with how this is coming out now. It is big enough to hold a lot of stuff, but not so huge as to make it a pain to move around or install.
Next up are the holes for the shelf pins. My buddy Scott gave me this fantastic jig to create this holes easily and repeatably. I took a little time to setup the jig to get the depth right and off I went.
The one thing to remember here is to use a single reference to work from. All of my holes were referenced from the top of the cabinet. If you are not careful you might end up with holes that do not line up front to back or side to side.
Once that was complete it was time to do final assembly.
I pre-drilled some pilot holes and used #6 1 1/4″ course drywall screws. I made a swap from the 2″ screws I bought because they would be overkill and I might have split the wood. I then used some Gorilla Glue in the dados and put four screws in each end.
I then fit the center support in and used four screws on each end there as well. This is one sturdy cabinet.
While the glue dries I measured and fit the shelves. In this case they are about 23 1/4″ long. I cut and dry fit two shelves and I think I am done for the day.
I did want to fit the back plywood, but it is really hot this afternoon and I need to do some studying for my VMware exam.
Tomorrow I will do the back board and then begin the doors. I am really looking forward to the doors because I get to use my table saw and my pocket screw jig.
If I keep doing these kinds of projects (and I hope to), I am going to need to get a set of real saw horses and a work surface that is at least 4′x4′. Given that setup I should be able to move it around and take it down to park the cars.